Monday, August 22, 2016

Hobbs is in the Rearview Mirror!


August 22, 2016

Hello my wonderful friends and family! Life has surely taken a turn here the last couple of days. You never know what is in store for you! I will begin by quoting a phone call I received on Saturday:

Me: "Hello this is Elder Ericson!"

Pres Heap: "Hello son, this is President Heap! How are you doing?"

Me: "I am doing wonderful President."

Pres Heap: "That's good. Well son, is your life boring?"

Me: "No not really! Its pretty exciting!"

Pres Heap: "Well I'm about to make it a little bit more eventful for you!"

President Heap then went on to mention that one of the senior couples in the office will be leaving here pretty soon and the new senior couple that will fill their positions won't be here for over a month. So, I have been assigned as the Texas Lubbock Mission Vehicle Coordinator! The new couple will be here on October 9th and so I will probably finish my mission in the office as the vehicle coordinator! My oh my. What a rush. This is going to be the worst yet best. Its going to be terrible because I have to sit in an office from 9-5 everyday and won't get to do nearly as much proselyting, but at the same time awesome because I get to be with President Heap all the time and will probably go to zone conferences and stuff next transfer. So it will have its ups and downs. However, I feel like I am just now figuring this whole missionary work thing out, and then I get yanked from it. However, we still get to proselyte from 6-9 every evening with the Lubbock Zone Leaders. So that will be good to still be able to work a bit! We shall see how this goes! My new companion is Elder Hawes. He is from Meridian and went to Rocky Mountain. So we are basically neighbors back at home. It'll be a good time, he is a good guy that will be fun to be with! So that's my life.

 

I am pretty sad to leave Hobbs! As you could tell a few weeks ago, Hobbs was not on the top of my list for desirable places. However, in just 3 weeks I grew a lot of love for that place! Man, we have done some sweet work over the last couple weeks! Like, I don't think I've ever gotten that many new investigators in that amount of time my whole mission! We weren't even focused on finding new people to teach, we were trying to get our service hours in every week and then just making the most of our finding time. And when we did get out finding we were just led right to people! On exchanges on Wednesday my boy Elder Nebeker and I were out knocking for a little bit, and we literally hit a stretch of 3 straight golden doors. First one, got in and taught a lesson. Second door, would have gotten in to teach a lesson but there wasn't another adult male there. Third door in a row, got in a taught a sweet lesson. Oh man, it was so sweet. Plus we have actually taught two young couples multiple times each. Just sweet stuff going on in Hobbs. Plus we have two less-actives that have been picking up steam in the last couple weeks since I got there. And now I'm gone...... so that's my sob story for the day. The ward was pretty darn good too and I really enjoyed my three sundays at church! But I hear that the Canyon West Ward (ward I will work part-time in) is super legit! So I am excited for that!

 

I learned a lot in Hobbs as well! Lots of good things that I was able to learn there. I learned how to be a better companion in a few different ways, and I learned how to be a better finder and teacher, and I learned how to just be a better missionary along with being a better leader although I wasn't in a leadership assignment. But I am sure being around President Heap I will have the opportunity to learn a ton! So I am thoroughly looking forward to that!

 

Well, I am super sorry that I don't have more to say. I usually look through my journal to look for things to talk about, and my weeks are a blur these days so I basically rely on my journal, and my journal is currently in one of my bags at the mission office. So I don't have too much to talk about. I look forward to tell you what sitting in an office for 8 hours a day is like next week!

 

I love y'all! Thank you so much for all of your prayers and support! I truly feel it! Keep the faith and know that both the Lord and I love you!

 

God bless ya!

Love,

Elder Reed Ericson

My new address:

5402 66th St #722

Lubbock, TX 79414

 Hit me up! I would love to hear from ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment